Frequently Asked Questions

A photo of the Shalala Student Center during sunset at the University of Miami Coral Gables campus. A photo of the Shalala Student Center during sunset at the University of Miami Coral Gables campus.
The Master of Arts in International Administration (MAIA) program gives both recent graduates and professionals the opportunity to pursue a master's degree. Courses are designed for students seeking to become a well-rounded professional in an ever-changing world.

Frequently Asked Questions

Open All Tabs
  • How do I apply?

    Applicants are encouraged to apply online by clicking here.


  • Do you have a program brochure?

    Yes. Please click the button below to view a digital copy of our brochure.

    View our Brochure. 

  • Do I need to take the GRE to apply to MAIA?



  • I'm not sure about a MAIA degree. Can I enroll in a course to try it out?

    Yes. You have the option of applying as a non-degree seeking student for a maximum of 6 credits. Upon receiving a grade of B or higher in those courses, you may transfer them into the MAIA program. Alternatively, you may consider earning a 12-credit Security Management Certificate. Should you decide to change to the MAIA program, you may do so prior to completing the certificate and use the credits earned as part of the 30-credit degree seeking master’s degree. For more information, please contact Cathy Wheeling at or (305)284-3167.


  • When may I begin my studies?

    The MAIA program offers rolling admission.  You may begin in the Fall (late August), Spring (mid-January), Summer A (mid-May) or Summer B (late June).


  • When is the application deadline?

    Please complete the online application by clicking here.

    Application Deadlines
    Intended Starting Semester Deadline
    Fall May 15
    Spring Oct 15
    Summer Feb 15


    Fall/Summer Priority Deadline: Full applications received by Feb 1 will receive an admissions decision by Mar 1 and will have priority considerations for tuition waivers.

    Spring Priority Deadline: Full applications received by October 1 will receive an admissions decision by November 1 and will have priority considerations for tuition waivers.

  • How can I apply for a tuition waiver?

    Once you have submitted your online application, please contact the MAIA Admissions Officer regarding the tuition waiver. Students can email the MAIA Admissions Officer at

  • Who teaches MAIA courses?

    MAIA courses are taught by full-time University of Miami faculty, including some of the most renowned scholars in the College of Arts and Sciences. 


  • How often do classes meet and at what times?

    Each course meets once a week in the evenings in the Fall and Spring and twice a week during summer sessions.


  • How large are the classes?


    The majority of courses are offered in seminar classrooms and average between 10 to 15 students. 


  • Are online courses available?

    Yes. The MAIA program is offered in a hybrid format.  About half of the MAIA classes are available in person and the other half online.  A typical full-time student schedule would involve in-person classes Monday and Wednesday evenings and one online class per term.


  • Can elective courses be taken from other departments?

    Students may enroll in other University of Miami graduate degree courses with the approval of the MAIA director. Intersession courses are not allowed in the MAIA program.


  • How long will it take me to complete the degree?

    The MAIA program is a 30-credit program and can be completed in 1-2 years, depending on the student’s full-time or part-time status.

    The University of Miami (UM) Graduate School requires that all work be completed within 6 years of the time of admission to a graudate program.

  • Are there additional admissions requirements for international students?

    Yes. Please visit our International Students page for international requirements by clicking here.

  • Can I transfer credits from another university?

    A maximum of 6 credits of graduate study may be transferred into the MAIA program, with approval from its director and the Graduate School. Transferred courses must have a grade of B or higher. Credits from courses taken six years or more before the time of admissions are not transferrable.


  • What is considered full-time study?

    Students enrolled in 9 or more credits are considered full-time. The maximum number of credits allowed for full-time study is 12 for each semester.


  • What is the process for readmission?

    Students who have not been continuously enrolled for regular sessions must request readmission. Contact the Office of Interdisciplinary & Professional Studies in advance of registration to request an Application for Readmission form. If additional college work has been completed elsewhere since the last enrollment at the University of Miami, an official transcript of this will be required.


  • How do I withdraw from the program?

    Notify the Office of Interdisciplinary and Professional Studies if you plan to withdraw from the program.